Thursday, July 2, 2009

There Is Nothing Cool About Smoking


Smoking probably looks and sounds very soothing and 'cool' to people who enjoy lighting the tobacco stick. But research proves it otherwise.
An year's consumption of tobacco and cigarette can produce so much of tar in your lungs that if you squeeze them, they can fill a glass and this glass full tar can be sufficient to produce cancer that will make you sick, extremely sick.

Perhaps, smoking persistently causes one to hav
e a craving for it and if not consumed at a frequent rate these guys tend to be missing out on something. But somewhere this habit needs to be broken because it adds to the inconvenience to many walking on the already muddy and potholed roads in our country .

Most importantly that it causes inconvenience to everybodys bodies, be it the smoker or the passive smoker. For non smokers like me, it's very irritating to see smokers smoke on the roads with all the liberty of littering the air at their hearts delight. The conditions go further irksome for sensitive lungs of people who have bronchitis and asthma.


Even after months of implementing the law of not smoking in public places people shamelessly puff the cigarette mocking the litigation as if it has no value. Perhaps it indeed doesn't have any because nobody is restricted or fined. As a matter of irony the public servants themselves don't try to implement this as a rule on their own selves so forget about the common people.

But smoking is a serious problem and needs to be addressed strictly. Worldwide statistics show a ghastly figure that the consumption of tobacco has reached the proportions of a global epidemic. Tobacco companies are cranking out cigarettes at the rate of five and a half trillion a year – nearly 1,000 cigarettes for every man, woman, and child on the planet. (courtesy: http://www.who.int/tobacco/en/atlas8.pdf ) At this rate cancer would love to spread its wings and embrace the world.

There have been some very sensible advertisements which show that smoking can cause harm to your lungs, heart and teeth; it can make you prone to cancer and will make your family a passive smoker; it will slowly kill you. But somehow the habit of smoking to the inveterate smoker seems so difficult to quit as if someone has asked him to remain hungry forever. Perhaps, he might not even mind remaining hungry if all he's allowed to do is smoke.
But the question lies with us to answer that is it so difficult not to smoke or let the lungs breathe clean air?

I caught a good poem and some gruesome but real pictures from the net. I would be glad if it would help encourage even one person to quit smoking.

A Lesson Learnt Late

It was, I remember, many years ago,
When I had failed to distinguish between a friend and a foe,
When they had invited me ,holding open the pack,
When I lost to curiosity, instead of being taken aback,
When on that fateful day , for the first time,
I held a cigarette in my hand.

It was, I felt a part of being in the teens,
And what had started with a puff or two became a routine.
The smoke's illusion blinded me for as it arose,
Arose my spirits too, and I muttered to myself, "I can" because,
With a cigarette in my hand ,
I felt like a man.

Soon it came out in the open, for it had become a habit I could not hide,
I was helpless, for I could not help but continue,
Even when I knew, it was eating me up from inside,
I was sick...my body and my soul and I realized,
With the cigarette in my hand,
I was a dying man.

Soon I was just a lifeless form, a hollow,
People shunned me everywhere, I wished,
If only had I done something which others could follow,
But it was too late, I had taken the wrong path, and I was ignored, because
With a cigarette in my hand,
I was a hated man.

All the time, tears filled my eyes,
For people had bid me their good byes,
I wept because my cells , my body was choking ,
If only on that first day,my friends had been joking,
And then one day, the cigarette dropped from my hand,
I was a dead man


Believe me, smoking really ain't cool. It makes you look ugly. Very ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment