Monday, December 28, 2009

Invictus


Unconquered. That's what 'Invictus' stands for. It's a inspiring poem by William Ernest Henley when he was just out of his recovery bed.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I happened to watch this movie with the same title based on a story of how Nelson Mandela found inspiration in this poem and passed it to the captain of Springbok, that was mainly a minority white team playing Rugby for South Africa, which helped the team move towards victory.

What I really liked about the entire story was the strategy that was used by Mandela to bring the apartheid torn nation united. That's how a true leader thinks. Devoid of any malice and purely for the upbringing of the nation. We need to learn from Mr Mandela. Brilliant movie and brilliant direction with a brilliant message.

No comments:

Post a Comment