Monday, February 8, 2010

Made For Each Other


Mr. & Mrs. Henderson were moving from Beaumont, TX to Austin, TX. I first met them at a motel some distance away from my house. A friend of mine worked there then.

Both were in their early eighties. Even at that age the couple looked so beautiful and made for each other.

One day Mrs. Henderson came and sat in the hall of the motel. I went to her and began talking to her.

"Good Morning Mrs. Henderson, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm good Bianca." She couldn't pronounce my name well so Bianca is what she called me.

"How come you are alone today. Where's Mr. Henderson?" I asked.

"Well George. He never listens to me. I asked him to get ready before me but he wanted to exercise some more. He's late again, so I need to wait now." She seemed a bit annoyed due to him.

"I like you and Mr. Henderson together. You remind me of my grand parents."
She was happy to listen to what I said.

"O! we don't have our own kids." She said. I felt sorry. "But George's brothers have kids and they treat us just like their parents." She beamed with a smile.

"George and I have known each other since childhood. I was 19 and he was 21 when we married. It's been a long journey since then and it's been beautiful to be in love, to stand by someone and have someone you love strongly stand by you." She kept smiling.

Mr. Henderson had just arrived. He looked at Mrs. Henderson and said "My honey seems to be happy."

"George you are extremely late." She frowned.

He jeered at her. "O! you look so beautiful when you frown." And she blushed and her frown quickly converted to a smile.

They quickly made up and sat for breakfast.

I'll never forget the two. When I looked at them it seemed so obvious that it just takes this thing called 'commitment' and it makes so much of a difference to whatever exists in this small life.

No comments:

Post a Comment