Thursday, March 11, 2010

To Tokyo With Paris


Well, don't confuse with the names. Tokyo is a Japanese restaurant in Beaumont and Paris is a student from one University that we are having a collaboration with on a certain project.

So when Paris was to bid us a bye before his last day in our lab, our guide decided to take our group and him on dinner. And Tokyo was the place.

In US I normally like eating at home so I was kind of skeptical about eating out. But it was a pleasure being out with everyone. On the way, our guide's car's one tire gave up. And changing the tire added to the adventure in the middle of highway on that dark night. Nevertheless, thanks to the sturdy guys the job was done in less than half an hour and we were back to move.

The thing I liked most about the place was its ambiance. And next was the service. The best part was they cook the dishes on the table top (covered with metal) right in front of your eyes while you are comfortably sitting and having the starters. Yes, that's the beauty. I've never been to any restaurant like that before. This part about the restaurant appealed to me a lot.

And then the biggest part was food. Being a veggie and not eating at many places comes out with certain amount of disadvantage. I had ordered veg mushroom fried rice and veg rolls as starter
both minus eggs (here egg is veg).

I thought the veg roll would be something like the one we have them back in India (the spring rolls with noodles in samosa like patties). Instead, here they have raw cucumber and raw yellow and red bell peppers (Shimla Mirch) covered with white boiled rice which is covered with sea weed. Sea weed tastes almost like raw fish and that gave a real hard time for me to eat it.

After it came the mushroom fried rice which was boiled white rice cooked in soya sauce and topped with mushrooms and cucumbers. That's it. May be my taste buds are not accustomed to eat food like this so I was a bit disappointed but then I managed to eat something in the two dishes. Kudos! :)

It was a bit embarrassing though because my plate was barely empty compared to my guide who was sitting on one side of me with sushi (rice covered by raw fish) and Paris who was seated on the other side with Tokyo special and both completely emptied their plates. So in the end everyone concluded that I eat like a sparrow so I look like one :D (well, that's not a fact).

And then was time for the big boss "Icecream". That came in thanks to one of my sweetest friend in the group who was also concerned about the flirting that was going on amidst the food fiesta. I could see something burning ;)

Well jokes apart. It had been a nice evening. I enjoyed a lot :)...to Tokyo with Paris and my lab mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment