Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day Mom


I have always been my dad's daughter. Somehow I was never on the same plane as my mother. If she said east I would make it sure that I took the west. As a kid she wanted me to behave like a girl but I always wanted to be like a boy. Later she wanted me to become a doctor and I opted for engineering. She wanted me to get married and settled in India when I thought I wanted to study abroad.

And I left home far away to pursue my dream.

After being so far off from her I know now that comes as a challenge. Everything she said and did was with a purpose. She wanted me to do good eventually. Right from trying to settle myself, taking care not to fall ill due to sudden weather change, cooking tasty enough while managing studies simultaneously, I've learn't all after staying away from home and her .

It was so different when I was back at home.
She would give me everything in hand. If she called me to cook, I would just run away from the kitchen. While leaving India when I tried cooking something, it would be so close to imperfect. She wondered how I would survive outside. Throughout my life the only place I must have helped her must have been to bring something from some shop, sometimes make chapatis or dal, grind puran for her during holi and help her in making some diwali snacks, mainly because I loved eating them and she threatened me that she wont make any if I didn't help her.

I don't remember any single thing for which I must not have taken her beatings. I have always troubled her. I was stubborn and she was headstronger than me. She had been strict with me. She always thought that girls ought to be demure and not too outspoken like I always had been. She knew I was going to face the music for my outspokenness someday. Thanks to her I have become more like a girl and less like a boy.

Despite all those differences my mother has been a fantastic lady. I still wonder how she managed the house, kids like me and my brother, juxtaposing with her job. She did a fantastic job. As a kid I thought that parents are born with this unusual talent of taking care of the household and handling their jobs. I thought it was their duty, but as I grew I learn't it's not the way it seemed to my naive mind. There goes in a lot of effort behind the edifice called house that we stay in. And she had been the most important pillar of my house.

I'm blessed to have so lovely parents and such a lovely mom. I think that the love covers for all the skirmishes that we may share in our mother daughter relationship.

Happy Mother's Day Mom. Thank you for bringing me into this wonderful world. I wouldn't have been here without you. And I know you will always love me even if I'm your 'nalayak mulgi' :D

No comments:

Post a Comment